Fading dreams

I’m wandering in the Alienage, and I’m not sure which one it is. It has a familiar feeling, as if it was Denerim, but the buildings are Highever’s. That makes me realize I’m in none of them… but in the Fade. This must be a dream.
A tall figure soon towers over me and I raise my eyes to meet my beloved husband’s ones. He seems as lost as me… There’s nothing more confusing that dreaming and being aware you’re dreaming. Especially when you share the dream with someone else.
“Is this… the Fade?” he asks, searching for my hand. Somehow we both know the other is the real one. We’ve visited this place awaken often enough to tell the real things from the false ones.
“Seems so. But it looks so peaceful… I hope we won’t meet Edanhor’s demons again”. He grabs my waist and holds me closer as only answer. We both have too recent what Edanhor’s demons did to me when we were here the last time…
Suddenly we’re inside one of the houses, without transition because that’s how dreams work, and we face a beautiful elven woman sitting in front of us. Lirya, Kyle’s adoptive mother, smiles and makes a gesture for us to sit too.
Her hair glows black as a raven again. Not having forgotten her botanical knowledge, she started to dye her hair black again when Kyle and me got married, but I have the feeling here in the Fade she looks as she looked before the Orlesian Inquisitor held her captive: dark-haired, young and beautiful. As usual, I wonder how does manage Kyle to be always surrounded by stunning women, and why on earth did he chose me, such an average red-haired, as his wife.
Lirya takes my hands and looks at me sadly, and I shiver. We didn’t tell her about my miscarriage in Tevinter, because we didn’t want her to worry, but she knows. Somehow she knows, and my heart aches. Then she looks at Kyle, and I can hear his breathing change. The look in Lirya’s face, here in the Fade, has nothing to do with the look when she’s awaken. In the real world, Lirya loves us and is grateful because we rescued her, but she doesn’t remember her past… and that breaks Kyle’s heart. But here… here she remembers everything… and she’s looking at Kyle as she was meant to look at from the beginning… A mother looking at her son. Kyle swallows, and Lirya’s smile widens.
She moves a hand and takes the hair away from his forehead, touching the almost unnoticeable scar he has always had there. He grabs her hand, and presses it against his face. He’s not crying, but I know this look in his face. There may not be tears in his eyes, but his heart is aching.
“Mother…” he mumbles.
“Shh”, she replies. “It’s all right, honey. You’re doing it right”
“But why?” he asks. “Why can’t you remember when you’re back?”
She shakes her head. “I don’t know. Something blocks everything. Maybe the liryum, maybe the magic… maybe the hate. But it is all right this way”
“No, it isn’t!” I complain. “He’s broken inside, can’t you see it?, What can we do to have you back with us?”
Lirya retrieves her hand, and at the same time a tiny sparkly of light, one of those whisps from the Fade, moves around her like a butterfly around a flame. She just glances it, but doesn’t pay much attention.
We have been studying with her the diaries I found in the Inquisitor’s cellar, and the results have been more grievous than productive. The diaries only describe the processes he has experimented on her body, all of them probably painful, and reading them back made our teeth grit, but brought no memories from her. If half of the descriptions are accurate, though, I’m happy she doesn’t remember it, but I know Kyle needs her mother back, and I won’t hesitate to achieve it.
“I don’t think those diaries will help”. Lirya confirms my theory. “At least not in our hands. Maybe you should hand them to someone who understands magic, and can find out a way to revert what was made to me… if it can be reverted”
I nod. “But who?” I doubt our mage companions, Haakan and Lauren, are qualified to find anything in those texts… at the Circle Tower the mages didn’t seem much qualified either. Though if we ask Haakan, he will surely come out with a thousand of paranoid theories he will swear are absolutely right and logical. Anyway they will soon go on their own way to retrieve their phylacteries and do all the things they want to do to get married in what Haakan’s think is a safe way. I smile against my will. It may take them decades to achieve that. I’ll never understand everybody’s interest in marrying. Maybe that way he thinks he’ll prove his love to her but wouldn’t it be better to share a life together without so much risk? I would have been happy enough moving to a home with Kyle forever, and I didn’t even had to pay for my wedding dress. Well, it is their life, and I don’t plan to mess with it anymore. I’ve had enough hostility as it is.
This is a very secret magic… maybe we should go as far as back to Tevinter to find a mage able to replicate these experiments… Unless we ask Edanhor of course, I shiver.
Kyle fists his hands. “There must be a way! If I had been there… maybe I could have made talk that bastard before they killed him!”
I stroke his shoulder. We were in the ruins when the rest of the group fought the mage in the tavern and was forced to kill him. “I doubt he would have helped us, love”, I try to comfort him.
“Yes… but maybe if she had seen him… maybe that would have brought her memories back?”. Kyle looks hopefully at her mother. Lirya shakes her head.
“There’s no use on crying over spilled milk, my son”
Then a light hits in my brain. “The inquisitor is dead… but Kyle… when you tracked her up to Orlais, wasn’t there other people involved?”
“Yeah. Commander Raleigh, but he was already dead” he looks at me. I nod. I remember Raleigh’s times, and him being killed was the best it could happen to our community. He had even captured Adaia once, and she had not nice words for him either. I’m grateful to whoever did that dirty job.
Lirya stares at us with a mysterious smile. She says nothing, but I feel we’re close to the answer.
“The person who sold Lirya to the Inquisitor?” I ask. “The Orlesian woman? What was her name?”
“Marjolaine”, Lirya whispers… and we both look at her. The whisp is floating around her face and gives her a gloomy shine. But her smile shows we’re on the good track.
“Marjolaine”. And when I open my eyes in the real world, as the dream starts to vanish, the word stays there. “Marjolaine…”. I look at Kyle by my side, he’s blinking confused and I know he’s trying to keep that name too. “Marjolaine…”
“Where can we find her?” I ask him, instead of saying good morning.
“We will start in Denerim”, he says, leaning on one elbow. “Some one must remember her. And then, we’ll follow her. To Orlais, or wherever”
I nod. We have something. And we won’t leave it fly away.